There is so much diversity in styles and teaching of this much-loved design that I'm not sure I can do it justice!
I'm going to start us off with a video overview of feathers. I just don't know that I can put into written word all the variations and methods of making feathers. Below is an older video on me making a feather.
One thing I do know is that there should be a lot of participation from all of you in this linky this month. Most of us have done feathers in our quilts or aspire to do them, so share with us all. If you are new to feathers, or even to free motion quilting, the best advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice and to doodle quilting designs as much as possible.
I'm finishing off my grid-based design sampler with feathers. Insanely small feathers. Yes, that is a pin for scale.
My favorite feathers that I've stitched so far in my quilty life are either the feathers on the farm quilt or the feathers in the waves of my Poured Out 2 quilt.
Next week I'll be posting stitched out versions of the feathers in the above video and possibly some video of that work. I am so glad I can stitch them better than I can draw them! It took 5 takes before I was satisfied with the above video. I rarely re-shoot video, so that's saying something!
So post something on your own blog about feathers and link up here so we can all go visiting and learn from one another!
Some quick rules:
- Keep your post relevant to this quilt along please. Spammy posts will be deleted.
- Make sure you link up to the individual post, not your home page as nobody wants to have to search around for the post if they're a little late to the party.
- Reciprocate! Link back to this post somewhere in your post or use the clickable blog button in your sidebar. You've got to dance with the one who took you to the party, so make sure you link back.
- Don't be a wall-flower. (Talking to myself here too. In person I am so stinking shy!) Visit the other links, be sociable, and leave comments.
- Please make sure you leave me a way to contact you if you are a no-reply commenter, especially if you ask a question.