I've been wanting to stitch up my own wallet for some time now. I was using a Dave Ramsey envelope system thing for my dollars, plus a zippy pouch for my change and plastic. (And if you're familiar with Dave Ramsey, don't tell him I still have plastic! None of it is actually credit cards these days anyway.) Things were a bit unorganized to say the least.
I knew I wanted two zippered compartments and pockets for the plastic and other cards). I had just a little fabric left over from making my current purse so I was able to coordinate my wallet. Happy day! I didn't use a pattern and sort of winged it. Love me or hate me, that's just how I am. The down side to being able to wing it and create my own patterns is a very bad case of impreciseness. That's why I don't do a lot of intricate piecing! My sewing life is also littered with things that didn't quite work out as I imagined them, at least not the first time....
But this wallet turned out nicely! There are a few tweaks I'll do next time and I did make my own pattern on paper as I went so I can make it again with those tweaks. The magnetic snap was a...well....snap to put in too. Best thing is it's the perfect size to grab out of my heavy purse if I'm just popping into a shop and carry it as a clutch. I might put a little handle on it as a wristlet.
I used a serger for several of the seams and even sewed the zippers in with it, but since I didn't have a zipper foot for the serger, it was a bit wonky. I think the next time, I'll just use oversized zippers and then trim them down when I stitch the side seams. I'll probably add another zippered pocket, since I do use a cash system for 2-3 expense categories.
I used Peltex under the outside fabric for a nice, stiff outside and did a bit of free motion quilting following the fabric's pattern too. I think it could use some stitching around the outside edges for a more finished look, but I'm glad I made it.