I'm sure there are other names that this design goes by, but scroll flower is what I will call it. This is a great design that can be scaled up really large- maybe up to 6 inches wide, for an all-over, edge to edge type design. It can work in a small scale for use as a filler and you can fit it to a block to use as a block design.
So it starts with a scroll shape. Some folks think it looks like a question mark.Then you add petals. These are pretty much a semi-circular shape, bouncing around the circular portion of the scroll.
The size of the scroll and size of the petals dictate how many petals you'll have. Conversely, the number of petals you desire and the size of your scroll can determine the size of your petals.
Then you bounce back around to create another set of petals. I like mine to just echo the first set.
And then off you go with another scroll to start the next flower. You can vary the direction of the scrolls to make the flowers more random.
If you are new to this design, draw it out a few times before starting to quilt it. Link up to share what you've done this week with this design, even if it's just a drawing. This is the baseline week, so that we can each work on our skill with this design and see how much each of us has improved.
Some quick rules:
- Keep your post relevant to this quilt along please. Spammy posts will be deleted.
- Make sure you link up to the individual post, not your home page as nobody wants to have to search around for the post if they're a little late to the party.
- Link back to this post somewhere in your post. You've got to dance with the one who took you to the party, so make sure you link back.
- Don't be a wall-flower. (Talking to myself here too. In person I am so stinking shy!) Visit the other links and leave comments.
- Please make sure you leave me a way to contact you if you are a no-reply commenter, especially if you ask a question.
- Visit others who have linked up and be sociable!
I don't have a give-away set up for this month, but I'm trying to set up something for next month. I'm working on a new button that will be good for all of these Free Motion Monday Quilting Adventures, but my computer seems to hate me right now, so that will have to wait.